by Jarrett Hoffman
While summer festivals around the world are being cancelled due to the threat of the novel coronavirus, the Cleveland Institute of Music is offering virtual Summer Intensives in nine areas during the months of May and June.
The series, taught by CIM faculty, is aimed at anyone preparing for conservatory or music school auditions, seeking a professional job, or simply honing their performance skills. The faculty members have curated a mix of master classes, demonstrations, discussions, and private lessons to be conducted exclusively online (and notably, CIM has two decades of experience with distance studio teaching).
Want to watch, but not play? Each session is also open to observers for a separate tuition rate, but only participants will receive lessons and the opportunity to perform in master classes.
The list of faculty is as follows:
- Michael Sachs and Michael Miller (Trumpet Audition Intensive, May 26-30)
- Melissa Kraut and Richard Weiss (Cello Audition Intensive, June 1-5)
- Barrick Stees and John Clouser (Bassoon Audition Intensive, June 1-5)
- Kathryn Brown and Antonio Pompa-Baldi (Piano Audition Intensive, June 1-5 at times convenient in the Western Hemisphere, and June 8-12 for the Eastern Hemisphere)
- Mark Jackobs, Stanley Konopka and Lynne Ramsey (Viola Audition Intensive, June 3-5)
- Frank Rosenwein (Oboe Audition Intensive, June 5-7)
- Colin Davin and Jason Vieaux (Classical Guitar Intensive, June 10-12)
- Ilya Kaler, Olga Dubossarskaya Kaler, and Stephen Rose (Violin Audition Intensive, June 15-19)
- Clifford Billions, Dina Kuznetsova, Mary Schiller, Dean Southern, François Germain, and John Simmons (Core Elements in Singing, June 22-26)
For more information — including sample daily schedules, audition requirements, application timelines, tuition rates, and technological recommendations — click the links above.
Published on ClevelandClassical.com May 12, 2020.
Click here for a printable copy of this article