by Daniel Hathaway
On Friday evening, August 7 at 7:00, the first three of six finalists in Piano Cleveland’s Virtu(al)oso online competition will be heard playing 30-35 minute programs previously video recorded at Steinway locations in the U.S. and abroad. The remaining three finalists will go online on Saturday, August 8.
We caught up with all of them either by email or Skype to ask versions of these questions:
1) Waiting is always a part of competitions, but this one is unusual. How did it feel to have so long to wait between recording your program and having it streamed in the First Round.
2) Did you listen to yourself in the first round? What was that like?
3) Do you plan to listen to yourself in the final round?
4) What’s your favorite piece in your final round program, and why?
5) Based on your experience with Virtu(al)oso, if the pandemic continues well into the future, would you consider entering a virtual competition again? [Read more…]